EDITORS Bo Almqvist is Professor Emeritus and former Head of the Department of Irish Folklore at University College Dublin, Liam Mac Mathuna is Professor and Head of the School of Irish, Celtic Studies, Folklore and Linguistics, Seamas Mac Mathuna is Professor of Irish and Celtic Studies, University of Ulster, Seosamh Watson is Professor Emeritus of Modern Irish, University College Dublin; Criostoir Mac Carthaigh is Archivist/Collector at the National Folklore Collection, University College Dublin.
Thirty academics, from Ireland, Scotland, England, the Faroe Islands, Norway, Sweden, Estonia and the USA, have joined together to honour Professor Seamas O Cathain, Emeritus Professor of Irish Folklore and former Director of the National Folklore Collection, in this festschrift on his 70th birthday. Professor O Cathain is widely known for his contribution to Irish and international folkloristics and the many ways in which he has promoted Irish language and culture. Articles in the festschrift, which cover a broad array of subjects, are in themselves a reflection of Seamas O Cathain's wide-ranging interests and constitute significant contributions to the disciplines of folkloristics, dialectology, and literary and etymological studies. Topics include, among others, folklore collectors and collecting, folklore connections between Ireland and the Nordic countries, folk legends old and modern, folk beliefs and folk customs, as well as issues in Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Cornish linguistics.
FOLKLORISTS AND FOLKLORE COLLECTING
- The Greatest and Bravest Small Nation on Earth'
- Seamus O Duilearga's Faroese Contacts and their Aftermath, Bo Almqvist
Carl Wilhelm von Sydows brev fran Irland till sonen Bertil sommaren 1920, Nils-Arvid Bringeus
Between Repudiation and Sympathy
- Eilert Sundt, Johan Theodor Storaker and the Collection of Folk Tradition in Nineteenth-Century Norway, Arne Bugge Amundsen
'... a wooden peg from which emerged a rope...'
- The Work of Erris Folklore Collector Micheal Mac Enri, Criostoir Mac Carthaigh
'A Small Sum of Mammon'
- Ceannacht Bhailiuchan Scealta Mhichil Ui Thiomanai, Rionach Ui Ogain
Asenath Nicholson and Famine Folklore in Rossport, Co. Mayo, Maureen Murphy
Visual Documentation of Irish Folk Tradition
- Simon Coleman, Patricia Lysaght
TALES, LEGENDS, PROVERBS AND SONG
- Da Exempla a Ceap Breatainn, Iain Seathach
The Witch's Bridle
- A Swedish Migratory Legend in a Comparative Perspective, Bengt Af Klintberg
'The cat was as big as a good-sized calf...'
- A Lacken Storyteller and Some Otherworld Beings, Bairbre Ni Fhloinn
James Cullinan and Some Items of South Tipperary Seanchas, Kenneth E. Nilsen
Escape from Belfield
- A Campus Legend in University College Dublin, Eilis Ni Dhuibhne-Almqvist
'I was at home alone'
- Memorates and the Authority of Tradition, Ulo Valk
Irish Kings, Pirates and Hermits on the Faroe Islands, Eyoun Andreassen
Historical Time and 'The Swad Chapel Song', Henry Glassie
Folk Wisdom and Orally Transmitted Knowledge in Sami Proverbs, Harald Gaski
FOLK BELIEFS, FOLK CUSTOMS AND SOCIAL ORGANISATION
- Leiriu Broin ar Bhas Leanai - Fianaise Bhealoideas na hEireann, Padraig O Healai
Skotrarar, Skudlers, Colloughs and Strawboys
- Wedding Guising Traditions in Norway, Shetland and Ireland, Past and Present, Terry Gunnell
The Heavy Burden
- Grindaboo to Mykines, Joan Pauli Joensen
Minifundismo and Rundale
- Similar Systems with Similar Origins?
GAELIC MYTHOLOGY AND EARLY LITERATURE
- Early Irish Narrative Verse, Gearoid Mac Eoin
Duibheagain an Uafais i dTraidisiun na Gaeilge - Uath, Uaimh agus Ifreann, Seamus Mac Mathuna
Na Cailleachan Mora, Iain Macaonghuis
Caoilte in Ireland
- Gaelic Folklore in Egils saga Skallagrimssonar, Michael Chesnutt
- Krakumal, Rory McTurk
- Si, Anders Ahlqvist
Seadhna, Seadna, Seadna, Shiana agus Litriu na Nua-Ghaeilge, Liam Mac Mathuna
Tranglam Culturtha na hAthbheochana
- an Iriseoireacht agus an Claonadh Liteartha, Regina Ui Chollatain
Liosta Focal Borgstrom agus Canuinti an Oileain Sgitheanaigh i bhFianaise SGDS, Seosamh Watson
Cornish Names for Native Fruit, Nicholas Williams
Seamas O Cathain's Printed Works, Patricia Moloney